The Anthony Wayne Bridge was named for General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, a military man with a ton of influence in the Maumee River valley (from Fort Wayne, IN downstream to Toledo, OH). The Anthony Wayne Bridge was built upstream of the former Cherry Street Bridge and opened to traffic in 1931. The $3 million suspension bridge is 3,215 feet long including approaches and raises 104 feet above the water at its midpoint.
The towers feature various lattice patterns, and some of the structural steel on them is itself latticed. The top and bottom horizontal parts to the towers above the road have a slight arch curve to them. The suspender cables for this bridge extend down from the main cable in sets of two. The bridge features Warren deck truss approaches. These approach spans feature riveted connections, and v-lacing/lattice. Overview: Suspension bridge over Maumee River on OH 2 in Toledo
History: Built 1931 by the McClintic-Marshall Co.; rehabilitated 1961
Builder: McClintic-Marshall Co. of Chicago, Illinois
Design: Wire suspension
Length of largest span: 785.1 ft.
Total length: 3,215.1 ft.
Deck Width: 60 Feet
Roadway Width: 54 Feet
Approach Spans: 25
Historic Bridges: Anthony Wayne Bridge