The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a simple suspension bridge crossing the Capilano River in the District of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The current bridge is 136 metres long and 70 metres above the river.
In 1888, George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer and land developer, arrived in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia. Mackay purchased 24 square kilometres of dense forest on either side of Capilano River and built a cabin on the very edge of the canyon wall. Assisted by two local natives and a team of horses, Mackay suspended a hemp rope and cedar plank bridge across the river. Natives called it the "laughing bridge" because of the noise it made when wind blew through the canyon. After his death, the hemp rope bridge was replaced by a wire cable bridge in 1903.
In 1910 Edward Mahon purchased the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Unsure of the bridge's strength, Mahon reinforced it with additional cables in 1914. In 1953 Rae Mitchell purchased the bridge property from Henri Aubeneau. Unsure of the 1914 cable strength, he completely rebuilt the bridge in 5 days in 1956, encasing the cables in 11.8 tonnes of concrete at either end.
Capilano Suspension Bridge