06 November, 2007

Mackinac Bridge Postcards

The Mackinac Bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the Straits of Mackinac to connect the non-contiguous Upper and Lower peninsulas of the U.S. state of Michigan. Designed by engineer David B. Steinman, the bridge (familiarly known as "Big Mac" and "Mighty Mac") connects the city of St. Ignace on the north end with the village of Mackinaw City on the south. The bridge opened on November 1, 1957. It opened to traffic on schedule on November 1, 1957, and was formally dedicated on June 25, 1958.

Mackinac Bridge Postcard 1
(PH Wish from Karen Brzezinski)

The Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension bridge with two towers between anchorages (8,614 feet) (2,626 m) in the Western Hemisphere. The length of the bridge's main span is 3,800 feet (1,158 m), which makes it the third-longest suspension span in the United States and twelfth longest worldwide.

The bridge is painted foliage green and ivory white, and at night bluish vapor lamps light up the roadway while maize-colored spotlights shine on the main towers.

Mackinac Bridge Postcard 2
(PH Wish from Janet Durfee)

Design: Suspension bridge
Longest span: 3,800 feet (1,158 m)
Total length: 26,372 feet (8,038 m)
Width: 68 feet (20.7 m)
Height: 522 feet (159 m)
Vertical clearance: 200 feet (61 m)
Clearance below: 155 feet (47 m)
Construction cost: $99.8 million (1957 USD; adjusted for inflation, approximately $732 million, 2007 USD)

SOURCE:
Mackinac Bridge Wikipedia Entry

No comments: