The church was built originally in the sixteenth century by the Augustinians and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros. British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762-63. However, the church was destroyed in 1773 and was rebuilt. It was also badly damaged in World War II, and later restored again.
The present weathered adobe structure is actually only over 100 years old, though various predecessors have stood on the site since the end of the 16th century.
Malate Church Postcard 3