08 May, 2008

Mission Concepcion Postcard

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña was established in 1716 as Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Hainais in East Texas. The mission was moved in 1731 to San Antonio. Founded by Franciscan friars, this is the best preserved of the Texas missions.

Mission Concepcion Postcard
(PH Wish from Karen Brzezinski)

The current church building was completed in 1755 and is the oldest unrestored stone church in the United States. It is built in the shape of a cross, with walls that are 45 inches (1.1 m) thick. The mission was closed in 1794, with the property divided among the resident Indians, all of whom has left by 1800.

SOURCE:
Mission Concepcion Wikipedia Entry

No comments: