The postcard shows the Hotel Vancouver, the second hotel of that name, which was an Italian Renaissance style hotel built in 1916 by the Canadian Northern Railway. It stood at 15 floors/ 77m tall, and was between Howe and Granville Streets on the south side of West Georgia Street.
In the time of Hotel Vancouver the names of the Spanish Grill, the Panorama Roof, and the Red Barrel became famous as part of the city's social whirl. It had several ballrooms and lounges, as well as an adjacent opera house cum cinema (originally the Orpheum, later restyled the Lyric), and all the bathrooms were fitted with marble sinks and gold-plate faucetry.
During the Second World War, the second Hotel Vancouver was used as a barracks. CNR demolished the building in 1949 to make way for the third Hotel Vancouver which still operates. Pacific Centre mall and the Eaton's Store (constructed between 1969 and 1972) stand on the site today.