The postcard shows the New University building (middle building) of the University of Heidelberg, a public research university located in Germany. Founded in 1386, it is the oldest university in Germany. The university comprises two campuses: one in Heidelberg's Old Town and another in the Neuenheimer Feld quarter on the outskirts of the city.
The New University building was constructed by Carl Grube in 1931-34. The New University replaced a neo-classical building created by the architect Friedrich Weinbrenner in 1828 for Heidelberg's museum's association. Its construction was made possible by the then American ambassador, Jacob Gould Schurman, who organized a campaign in the United States to collect donations for this purpose. The building contains lecture halls and a large assembly hall.
University of Heidelberg Wikipedia Entry
Stadt Heidelberg: New University