The postcard shows the Dôme des Invalides that can be found at the Invalides Complex in Paris. The Dôme des Invalides is the most recognizable and well-known part of Les Invalides. In 1676 King Louis XIV - the Sun King - charged architect Jules Hardouin Mansart with the task of creating a separate private chapel at the Invalides for exclusive use of the royal family. This gold-domed church was completed in 1708 by de Cotte after Mansart died. Inspired by Rome’s St. Peter’s Basilica, this chapel, known as Église du Dôme, is considered one of the world’s most exciting examples of French Baroque architecture.
The dome itself is 107 meters high (351 ft), making it one of the tallest monuments in Paris, and was centrally placed in order to dominate the court of honor – one of 15 courtyards at the complex, designed for military parades. The inside of the dome was painted by Charles de La Fosse, disciple of 18th century well-known French painter, Charles Le Brun.
Napoleon Bonaparte was entombed at Les Invalides. Also buried at Invalides are several members of Napoleon’s family as well as a number of prominent French military leaders and war heroes.
Dôme des Invalides