Nationaltheater München (National Theatre Munich) on Max-Joseph-Platz is an opera house. After the first theatre, commissioned by King Maximilian 1st of Bavaria and designed by Karl von Fischer, which opened in 1818 with Die Weihe by Ferdinand Fränzl, was destroyed by fire in 1823, it was reconstructed and re-opened in 1825. This second theatre, designed by Leo von Klenze, incorporated Neo-Grec features as seen in its portico and triangular pediment.
Based on the original plans by Karl von Fischer, the architect Gerhard Moritz Graubner recreated the original neo-classical 2100 seat theatre. Albeit somewhat enlarged and only the foyer and main staircase retaining their original look, the theatre opened on 22 November 1963 with a performance of Richard Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.
National Theatre Munich Wikipedia Entry