01 September, 2008

William Taylor Hotel Postcard

The 100 McAllister Street Tower was built by the Methodist Church in the “modern Gothic” style and opened in 1929 as the luxury William Taylor Hotel, designed by architect Lewis P. Hobart. It was briefly, during the 1930s, San Francisco’s tallest structure.

William Taylor Hotel Postcard

In 1936 the building was sold and reopened as the Empire Hotel featuring the Skyroom. During World War II, 100 McAllister Street was taken over by the government for federal workers before the present federal building on Golden Gate Avenue was constructed. In 1978, Hastings acquired the building and converted it to student housing, opening the facility in 1981.

No comments: