The postcard shows the Negros Occidental Provincial Capitol in Bacolod City which was built from 1924 to 1935 in the style of American neoclassical and Beaux-Arts architecture favored by the city planner Daniel Burnham. The capitol complex is located three blocks north of the cathedral, bound by Gatuslao and Lacson Streets.
The capitol is planned as an E. The central section is marked by a three story colonnade crowned by Corinthian capitals. Entrance to the capitol is through wide stairs equal in length to the colonnade. Three entrances lead to the central lobby. Directly in front twin staircases in tropical hardwood lead to the main session hall of the building on the second floor. From the second floor secluded and narrow flights of stairs lead to an upper gallery (corresponding to the attic in the Neoclassical design). Sculptures decorating the capitol and the adjacent lagoon are attributed to Guillermo Tolentino, National Artist for Sculpture.
Bacolod City Tour: The Provincial Capitol