30 June, 2008

Parian Gate Postcard

The postcard shows the Parian Gate and the dome of one of the churches (no idea what church) inside the walled city. The Parian Gate, one of the 7 gates allowing access to Intramuros, was the only access that the Chinese traders were allowed to use. The Parian Gate directly faces Binondo, the Chinese section of Manila, and was the site of much commerce. The Chinese were forced to construct the walls of Intramuros.

Parian Gate Postcard

29 June, 2008

Royal Gate at Pagsanjan Postcard

The old town gate during the Spanish and American periods was known as the Puerta Real (Royal Gate) and the street passing through it, Calle Real (Royal Road). It was built in 1878-1880 by the Pagsanjeños using adobe, lime and carabao’s milk. On top of the triple arched gates is the Spanish Coat of arms guarded by two lions.

Royal Gate at Pagsanjan Postcard

28 June, 2008

Old Church at Laoag Postcard

St. William's Cathedral was built by the Augustinian friars. The church was originally built using lime, molasses, big stones, gravel and sand. It was in 1612 that the foundations of the present church of Italian Renaissance were made replacing the former wooden chapel. The church has an unusual two-storey facade, supported by two pairs of columns on each side of the arched entrance.

Old Church at Laoag Postcard
Laoag, Ilocos Norte

27 June, 2008

Cathedral Bell Tower Postcard

The Jaro Belfry was built in around 1744 (a different source says 1864) and is one of the oldest structures in Iloilo City. The belfry was damaged a few times by earthquakes the latest being in 1948 during an earthquake nicknamed the Lady Caycay.

Jaro Cathedral Bell Tower and Plaza Postcard
Jaro, Panay

26 June, 2008

Governor Reynold's Bridge Postcard

I cannot find any information regarding the bridge.

Governor Reynold's Bridge Postcard
Mayon Volcano in the distance

25 June, 2008

Entrance to Fort Santiago Postcard

Entrance to Fort Santiago Postcard
The Headquarters of the US Army in the Philippines


Entrance to Fort Santiago, Manila
During WWII

24 June, 2008

Old Fort Santiago Postcard

During World War II Fort Santiago was captured by the Japanese, and sustained heavy damage from American & Filipino bombs during the Battle of Manila in February 1945. It was later restored by the Intramuros Administration during the 1980s.

Old Fort Santiago Postcard

23 June, 2008

Shipping on the Waterfront Cebu Postcard

I have no idea what is the name of he ships on the postcard. Quite nice though.

Shipping on the Waterfront Cebu Postcard

22 June, 2008

Old Binondo Church Postcard

Bombed in World War II, only a fountain remains of the plaza and only the facade and the tower remain from the old Binondo Church.

Old Binondo Church Postcard

RELATED ENTRY:
Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz Postcards

21 June, 2008

Bookmark Postcard Reproductions

Today I decided to showcase my Bookmark PC reproductions of the old Philippines. Manila can be considered as the Orient's first truly international melting pot - the confluence of Spanish, American and Asian cultures. We had the best architecture that can match Washington, DC! Sad to say that after World War II, the cultural patrimony was eviscerated.

The layout of the Manila was planned during Spanish Era as a set of communities surrounding the original Spanish Era walled city of Manila, called Intramuros. During the American Period, some semblance of city planning using the architectural designs and master plans by Daniel Burnham was done on the portions of the city south of the Pasig River.

Destruction of Intramuros

After World War II Filipinos lost an irreplaceable cultural and historical treasure in the resulting carnage and devastation of Manila. Countless government buildings, universities and colleges, convents, monasteries and churches, and their accompanying treasures dating to the founding of the city, were decimated. For example, San Agustin Church was the only one of the seven churches in the walled city to remain standing.

Manila, once touted as the "Pearl of the Orient" and famed as a living monument to the meeting of Asian and European cultures, was virtually wiped out. Most of the buildings damaged during the war were replaced with modern American style architecture. Only a few old buildings remain intact.

20 June, 2008

Church of St. Sebastian Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Igreja de Sao Sebastiao
Santa Cruz de Minas - Minas Gerais - Brasil

Church of St. Sebastian
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

No information, as of the moment, can be found about the church.

19 June, 2008

Church of St. Peter's Clergy Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Interior da Igreja Sao Pedro Dos Clerigos
Marian - Minas Gerais

Church of St. Peter's Clergy Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

No information, as of the moment, can be found about the church.

18 June, 2008

Church of St. John the Evangelist Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Igreja de Sao Joao Evangelista
Tiradentes - Minas Gerais

Church of St. John the Evangelist
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

I was able to find information about the Church of St. John the Evangelist, but it is again entirely in Portuguese.

17 June, 2008

Chapel of Our Lord Jesus Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Capela do Senhor Bom Jesus
Lagoa Dourada- Minas Gerais Brasil

Chapel of Our Lord Jesus
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

No information, as of the moment, can be found about the chapel.

16 June, 2008

St. Anthony's Church Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Interior de Igreja Matriz de Santo Antonio 1710
Inner Side Santo Antonio Mother Church 1710
Tiradentes - Minas Gerais

St. Anthony's Church Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

The finest of Tiradentes religious buildings is the principal church, Santo Antonio (1710), which has gilded altars and a brightly painted organ made in Portugal in 1788. The façade was one of Aleijadinho's last works. The most striking feature of the interior is the choir, with festoons on the ceiling and carved pilasters.

15 June, 2008

Cathedral of St. Anthony of Padua Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Catedral de Santo Antonio
Santo Antonio Cathedral
Patos de Minas- Minas Gerais

Cathedral of St. Anthony of Padua Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

I was able to find information about the Cathedral of St. Anthony of Padua, but it is entirely in Portuguese. Can anyone help me with the translation? Can't find a reliable online translation sites.

14 June, 2008

Church of Our Lady of Thanksgiving(?) Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Igreja de Nossa Senhora das Gracas
Nossa Senhora das Gracas Church
Araxa - Minas Gerais

Church of Our Lady of Thanksgiving(?) Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

No information, as of the moment, can be found about the church.

13 June, 2008

Church of St. Dominic Postcards

The back of the postcards read (in Portuguese):

Igreja Matriz de Sao Domingos
Sao Domingos Mother Church
Araxa - Minas Gerais

Church of St. Dominic Postcard 1
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

The construction of the Church of St. Dominic began in 1795 by Alexandre Gondin, who had his works completed in 1800.


Church of St. Dominic Postcard 2
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

12 June, 2008

Church of Our Lady of Conception Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Conceicao
Coronel Xavier Chaves - Minas Gerais - Brasil

Church of Our Lady of Conception Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

The Church of Our Lady of Conception, located in Coronel Xavier Chaves, was built in 1920 in Neo-Gothic style.

11 June, 2008

Church of Our Lady of Conception Postcard

The back of the postcard reads (in Portuguese):

Interior da Matriz de N. S. Conceicao
Prados - Minas Gerais

Church of Our Lady of Conception Postcard
(PH Wish from Isabel Aleman)

Information below was translated using Google Translate (so might not sound right):

The Church of Our Lady of Conception (Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Conceicao) was built in the period from 1712 to 1770. The sobriety of the facade contrasts with the lightness of its rococo style interior. It is one of the few churches that presents the image of their patron at the door of the church. The lining is completely covered in paintings. The altars are carved with gold ornaments on a white background. The existing images are original and authentic and dates from the eighteenth century.

10 June, 2008

Keldby Church Postcard

Keldby Church lies in a small village just to the east of the main town of Stege, on the island of Møn. It was built in the first half of the thirteenth century. Its interior contains one of the largest collections of medieval wall frescoes of any church in Denmark. These include a fascinating series by the artist known only as the Elmelundemester, including a wonderfully naturalistic portrayal of the Nativity.

Keldby Church Postcard
(PH Wish from Suzanne Stadler)

The oldest parts of the Keldby Church, the nave and the choir, were build in the years 1200-1250. The late Gothic triptych is from the 1500s and is gilded and richly carved. In the middle of the triptych is an figure of St. Andrew with his cross, he is surrounded by relief's showing motifs from his legends, and further out are depiction's of 11 apostles and a canonised bishop.

SOURCES:
A Denmark Attraction:
Keldby Church
Keldby Church

09 June, 2008

St. Peter's Catholic Church Postcard

St. Peter's Catholic Church (Little Blue Church), just outside Kona Town near Magic Sands Beach, was built in 1889 on the site of an ancient Hawaiian heiau, or temple of the ancient Hawaiian religion.

Little Blue Church Postcard
(PH Wish from Suzanne Stadler)

There are only 12 pews and a pulpet, and a beautiful etched glass window. If you sit in one of the pews, you can visually line up the horizon depicted in the stained glass image of the Sea of Galilee with the real Pacific horizon beyond the church. This church is made of clapboard with a corregated tin roof.

SOURCE:
St. Peter's Catholic Church, Hawaii

08 June, 2008

Cathedral of Mary and St. Severus Church Postcard

Erfurt's city is dominated by the Mariendom (Cathedral of Mary) and the Severikirche (St. Severus Church) on the Cathedral Hill and 70 Steps run between the magnificent architectural ensemble of the churches. Inside the cathedral one can view the impressive gothic choir with its colorful cycle of stained glass windows. The 13 windows are more than 40 feet high. The Cathedral houses many noteworthy treasures of art created over the centuries.

Cathedral of Mary and St. Severus Church Postcard
(PH Wish from Suzanne Stadler)

The Severikirche (also St. Severi-Kirche, Church of St. Severus) stands next to the Dom on a small hill in Erfurt. A five-naved early Gothic hall church, Severikirche was built a collegiate church for the regular canons of St. Augustine during the 12th century. The most important furnishing in Severikirche is the monument tomb of St. Severus, carved out of a soft pink sandstone around 1365 by an artist known only as "the Master of St. Severus."

SOURCES:
Mariendom and Severikirche
Severikirche, Erfurt

07 June, 2008

Nuremberg Frauenkirche Postcard

Emperor Charles IV had the Church of Our Lady's (Frauenkirche) built here between 1355 and 1358 on the site of the destroyed synagogue of the former Jewish quarter (pogrom in 1349). It was the first Gothic hall church in Franconia, constructed as an Imperial court chapel with three aisles. Its builder was presumably Peter Parler, the master builder of the Prague St Vitus' Cathedral. In 1816, the Church of Our Lady's was given to Nuremberg's Catholic congregation.

Church of Our Lady's Postcard

The postcard also shows the Neptune Fountain, a copy of a fountain, which in original was sold to the Tzar of Russia in 1797 and now stands in Peterhof.

SOURCE:
Frauenkirche (Our Lady's Church)

06 June, 2008

Multiview Philippine Churches Postcards

The first postcard shows different churches in the Philippines. They are:
(1) Unspecified church
(2) Manila Cathedral
(3) Baguio Cathedral
(4) Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral

Philippine Churches Postcard 1

The second postcard shows different churches in the Iloilo, Philippines. They are:
(1) San Jose Church
(2) Iloilo Church
(3) Miag-ao Church

Philippine Churches Postcard 2

05 June, 2008

Paniqui Church of the Nazarene Postcard

The Paniqui Church of the Nazarene or Paniqui Church is a Roman Catholic church that can be found in Paniqui, Tarlac. Unfortunately, I couldn't find information (history, etc.) regarding the church.

Paniqui Church Postcard

04 June, 2008

Sta. Monica Parish Church Postcard

Located along the highway is the Sta. Monica Parish Church (Alburquerque Church) complex built on a low knoll. The Albur parish was established in 1869 after being separated from Baclayon, Bohol. An 1886 reports indicates that the church was built of light materials. This way made of rubble, wood and tabique. The date of the construction of the church is uncertain, although, the generous use of reinforced concrete for the façade and the bell tower indicates that the church was either being built or renovated in the 20th century.

Alburquerque Church Postcard

03 June, 2008

Baclayon Church Postcards

The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (Baclayon Church) is considered to be one of the oldest churches in the Philippines. It is one of the best presevered Jesuit build churches in the region, although in the 19th century, the Augustinian Recollects added a modern facade and a number of stone buildings that now surround the church.

Baclayon Church Postcard 1

Only in 1717, Baclayon became a parish, and construction of a new church commenced. Some 200 native forced laborers constructed the church from coral stones, which they took from the sea, cut into square blocks, and piled on to each other. They used bamboo to move and lift the stones in position, and used the white of a million eggs as to cement them together. The current building was completed in 1727.

Baclayon Church Postcard 2

The church has two facades: an inner one which is Classical in inspiration, and outer one built in the 19th century by the Recollects is a portico decorated by three arches. The green and gilded altars are the focal point of the interior. They are exuberant versions of Baroque popular during the 18th century. Although the main retablo displays saints of Recollect devotion, the retablo itself traces to the Jesuits whose emblem and motto "Ad majorem Dei gloriam" surmounts the main altar.

Baclayon Church Postcard 3

In the nave are found two benches carved in low relief. One features genre scenes: a goat tied to a tree, a coconut, nipa grove, and a man in stocks. A painting of the Ascension, Church Fathers and San Vicente Ferrer are found in the nave. These date to the 19th century.

SOURCE:
Churches in Bohol Wikipedia Entry

02 June, 2008

St. Peter the Apostle Parish Church Postcard

The first stone church was built in 1602. It was destroyed by fire in 1638 and rebuilt beside the site of the older one. This is the Loboc Church presently standing, a fine example of the Jesuit colonial architecture of the 18th century. The Augustinian Recollects were responsible for the free-standing bell tower, the arcade facade, the mortuary chapel, and the heavy stone buttresses.

Loboc Church Postcard

Loboc Church contains a lot of interesting treasures. Among these are the decorative stone carvings and friezes on the exterior walls; a relief of St. Ignatius in polychrome stucco intriguingly hidden behind the main altar, seven ancient retablos from both the Jesuit and Recollect periods; ceiling murals done in the 1920’s by the Cebuano artists Rey Farncia and Canuto Avila, one depicting the miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the town’s secondary patron, during the great flood of 1876; carved wooden cornices and decorative corbels shaped as gargoyles or mythical animals; and the unique three-story convent, perhaps the only one of its kind in the country.

SOURCE:
Loboc, Bohol Wikipedia Entry

01 June, 2008

St. Paul and St. Peter Church Postcard

Fr. Luis Candullo began the construction of a church for the Patron Saints San Pedro y San Pablo de Calasiao. This was ruined by an earthquake a few years later. In 1736 the insurrectos led by Palaris of Binalatongan (now San Carlos) burned the church.

Calasiao Church Postcard

After a few years, Fr. Daimau reconstructed it this time with strong materials, and this is the church that we find today in Calasiao. It is 88.30 meters long, 25 meters wide and 27.30 meters high. Construction began in 1753 and it was completed in 1858. The tower is about 30 meters high, this church is considered one of the best in Pangasinan architectural design.

The postcard also show the Señor Divino Tesoro Chapel which houses the image of Señor Divino Tesoro. In its windows are the 14 Stations of the Cross done in stained glass.

SOURCE:
Calasiao : "Lugar de Rayos"