20 January, 2009

Denver Public Library Postcard

The postcard shows the Denver Public Library from Voorhees Pool Civic Center. In 1910 the Denver Public Library acquired the Central Library, a Greek revival design funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The library stands on the northwest part of the Civic Center.

Denver Public Library Postcard

In 1956 a new library structure located on Broadway and 14th Streets was built by the firm of Fisher and Fisher/Burnham Hoyt. In 1990 75% of Denver voters approved a $91.6 million bond issue to add on to the Fisher and Fisher/Burnham Hoyt building. The 540,000-square-foot structure, adjacent to the Denver Art Museum, was designed by architect Michael Graves and the Denver firm of Klipp Colussy Jenks DuBois.As of 2004, the library had 2,519,977 items in its collection.

SOURCE:
Denver Public Library Online

No comments: