20 March, 2009

M1010: Ruins of Camalig Postcard

The postcard supposedly shows the Ruins of Camalig. The back of this postcard reads:

Ruins of Camalig - The bell tower, what was left of the church, after the destructive eruption of the beautiful Mayon on February 11, 1814.

This is actually the Bantay Church Bell Tower in Bantay, Ilocos Sur. Just like any other Spanish churches in Ilocos, the bell tower is constructed separate from the main church. The bell tower stands a top the nearby Calvario Hill with a blind Gothic arch over its doorway. The belfry was used also as watchtower by towns people to see incoming invaders.

M1010: Ruins of Camalig Postcard

RELATED ENTRY:
Shrine of Nuestra Senora de la Caridad Postcard

SOURCES:
Ilocos Review, Volume 3, Number 1 & 2, January-December 1971. Churches in Ilokandia, p. 280
Province of Ilocos Sur Things To Do

No comments: