The postcard shows Fort Pilar in Zamboanga City, a 17th century military defense fortress built by the Spanish colonial government. One can also see in the postcard a calesa. In defense against pirates and raiders and upon the requests of the Jesuit missionaries and Bishop Fray Pedro of Cebu, the Spanish governor Don Juan Cerezo Salamanca approved the building of a stone fort in the year 1635. The fort was originally called "Real Fuerza de San Jose" and was also called "Real Fuerza de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza" in honor of the patron virgin of Spain, Our Lady of the Pillar.
Fort Pilar is now an outdoor catholic Marian shrine and a museum. In 1734, a statue of the Our Lady of the Pillar was placed above the eastern wall of the fort making it an outdoor shrine with an altar for praying.
Fort Pilar Wikipedia Entry