This deckle edged postcard shows the Malacañang Palace gate and the Kalayaan Hall (behind the flagpole and tree). Kalayaan Hall, then called Executive Building, was built during the administration of Governor General Francis Burton Harrison (1913-1921). The building housed the offices of the Governor General and Vice Governor on the first floor.
The reinforced concrete building was designed by Ralph Harrington Doane, who also designed the Pangasinan Provincial Capitol and the Leyte Provincial Capitol. The building exterior has precast concrete ornaments and ironworks, and the interior ha handcarved wood panels, intricate mouldings, and coffered ceilings.
After the success of the Edsa People Power Revolution, President Corazon C. Aquino ordered the building renamed Kalayaan Hall, to commemorate the return of democracy and liberty to the Filipino people. Then building was turned into a museum during the administration of President Fidel V. Ramos.
M1154: Malacañang Palace Postcard
M1012: Malacañang Palace Postcard
Malacañang Palace Postcard
Kalayaan Hall: The Nerve Center of Power