31 May, 2012

Postcards @ the free lecture at the Central Post Office


I was expecting low attendance at the lecture. To my surprise, there were other postcard enthusiasts in the audience, including those from PostCrossing, as well as travel bloggers, photographers and guys from the Heritage Society.


When I arrived at the Manila Post Office, members of the Filipinas Stamp Collectors' Club were doing an auction of stamps and other collectibles. Other members were also selling stamps and postcards. I was lucky enough to grab 11 postcards for Php250 - a great deal for me since they were old (not century-old) Philippine postcards and San Francisco Bridge postcards. Nice addition to my collection.






The lecture was conducted by the Club's president, Dojie Lutera. He called the lecture "Old Manila," with postcards and photographs to show how beautiful old Manila was. 


I envy his old postcard collection that includes old Intramuros postcards - the gates and buildings inside the walled city - churches, Escolta scenes that keep changing in the course of time. I heard him say that he paid at least USD250 for one of his cards. Expensive, but for a collector like him, I know it was worth it.


I love all the postcards shown in the lecture. I just wished he had the postcards with him.


Parian Gate Postcard

Sta. Lucia Gate Postcard

Military House in Intramuros Postcard

2 comments:

Pinoy Kollektor said...

Thanks for sharing this event. Unfortunately I missed this one. I would love to listen to Dodjie about his postcard collection.

filipino deltiologist said...

I've learned alot about old manila with his lecture and thru the postcards. i can see the passion while he spoke about his collection. there's another lecture this 17th - the basics of stamps and postcards collecting